Kolekole is a family favorite with breathtaking views and cleared paths. Kolekole Trail is located at the end of Trimble Road on Schofield Barracks, approximately half a mile each way and ends at a bench with a scenic overlook. As the trail begins the steps can be a little slippery if it has rained, so be sure to hold onto your little one’s hands.
The trail continues with a gradual incline and plateaus as you see a large rock formation and tower. As the trail plateaus you can find strawberry guava (if in season) and occasionally little chameleons if you can spot them. As the trail continues follow the path to the LEFT of the “Hiking Trail” sign and you will continue towards a second look out which can make for a great photo op.
Follow the path and you will find yourself at the bench and scenic overlook. The overlook is breathtaking and the perfect spot for a snack and photo op. I love walking out to the rocks below and taking a moment to myself to enjoy the beauty of the island. I try to remind myself that though this life maybe hectic, frustrating, and a roller-coaster of emotions it has given me to the opportunity to see so many beautiful things.
The trail is open on select dates during non-live-fire days, to Department of Defense/military ID cardholders and visitors. Dates are known approximately one to two weeks prior. No advance permission is required. The schedule can be found at the Hawaii Army Garrison webpage.
- How to Get There: Put “1492 Trimble Rd, Schofield Barracks, HI 96857” in your GPS. Take Trimble Road all the way to the end. It will turn into Kolekole Road. You will go through a gate. Continue on this road (1.5 miles) until you see a dirt parking lot on your left with the trail behind it.
- Hours: When the trail is open, it is open from 5:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m., unless otherwise noted. Hikers should call (808) 655-1434 if they have problems with trail gate.
- Dogs: Leashed dogs are allowed on the trail.
Other Attractions in the Area:
The hike is short and sweet, so here’s a few things in the area to explore after you’re done:
- Pirate Ship Playground & Splash Pad: Schofield Barracks at the Kaena Community Center. 5485 Gallup Street, Wahiawa, HI 96786
- Wahiawa Botanical Gardens: 27 acres is a botanical garden on a high plateau, open from 9am to 4pm. 1396 California Avenue, Wahiawa, HI 86786
- Farm to Barn Café & Juicery: Delicious food with open seating and space for everyone to run around. We love their Humble Bowl, Barn Burrito, and Nela’s Burger! 66-320 Kamehameha Hwy, Haleiwa, HI 96712
- Kula Shave Ice North Shore: Serves the most delicious shave ice with hand crafted organic syrups. 66-320 Kamehameha Hwy, Haleiwa, HI 96712
- Big Wave Shrimp Truck: As seen on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives this truck offers the best shrimp plate and for $1.00 more you can get your shrimp peeled for you! 66-521 Kamehameha Hwy, Haleiwa, HI 96712
For more inspiration, follow me on Instagram @aloha.mama.cat for family fun ideas! Feel free to DM if you have any questions about island life. Aloha!