Are you stationed in San Diego? The SoCal metropolis is notoriously sought-after as a submarine duty station, and boasts the nation’s largest concentration of military personnel. In fact, over 100,000 active duty members are stationed here.
If you find yourself stationed here, there’s so much to see and do. In fact, we’re going to break up our “Ultimate Bucket List” into seperate posts, because there’s so much! First up, attractions.
Check out these fun activities to see and do in San Diego for families. From coastal to inland, you can always find something to do in this beautiful city.
- Hotel Del Coronado is the perfect place to watch the sunset while eating or visiting the area.
- Seaport Village is located on the marina. This place has many shops and restaurants. For families don’t miss the carousal and magic show’s every hour on the weekends.
- The New Children’s Museum is a renovated museums perfect for children of all ages. Right in the heart of downtown San Diego. After you take your littles head over to Breakfast Republic for brunch.
- Balboa Park is located right off the 805. This place is beautiful all year round. Grab a bite to eat at The Prado and head over to all the museum attractions they have within the area below (Check out the website for a discount).
- Centro Cultural del la Raza is a beautiful cultural center with a mission to create, preserve, promote and educate about Chicano, Mexicano, Native American and Latino art and culture.
- Veterans Museum and Memorial Center houses a unique collection of artifacts, memorabilia, artwork, and papers dedicated to Veterans of all conflicts. The exhibits feature World War I, World War II, Pearl Harbor, the Korean War, Vietnam, Afghanistan/Iraq, Women in the Military, and paintings of military subjects by local artists.
- Air and Space Museum is an aviation and space exploration museum that takes you on a journey through the history of flight.
- San Diego Railroad Museum is a model railroad exhibit – the largest such indoor exhibit in North America!
- San Diego History Museum is one of the only institutions dedicated to the heritage of a major American metropolitan region. The museum tells the diverse story of the San Diego region – past, present and future.
- Fleet and Science Center connects people of all ages to the possibilities and power of science to create a better future. At the science center, you can explore and investigate more than 100 interactive exhibits that pique your curiosity and become immersed in an IMAX film adventure that shows the wonders of the planet—and beyond.
- Natural History Museum is one of California’s oldest and most respected cultural and scientific institutions.
- World Famous San Diego Zoo is one of the largest zoos in the United States. It carries over 3,700 animals. They have a tram and a skyfari in case your family or littles get tired. Check out the live web cam they provide to see the newest babies in the spring. Best feature is booking a time to feed giraffes
- Old Town San Diego is one of first historic sites in San Diego, CA. This place has historic museum, restaurants and a haunted house that is very popular.
- Belmont Park Mission Beach is a boardwalk of attractions. Every age they have rides and games. They have a hug roller coaster and a lot of delicious foods. After you spend your time playing games and riding the Big Dipper check out the amazing sunset on the beach.
- Sea World San Diego is one of the largest animal encounters in San Diego. They have different attractions and shows. Main Attractions include Shipwreck Rapids and the Manta Ray rollercoaster. Don’t forget Sea World has a Military pass for active-duty member and immediate families. They can enjoy the park free once a year.
- LEGOLAND California located in Carlsbad, CA. This amusement park has Lego Cities and capitals. You can build you own city. LEGOLAND also has an aquarium on property too. Don’t forget to book your stay at one of the themed resorts and hotels to experience everything LEGO. This place gives a military discount, but you need to call to get details.
- San Diego Safari Park location is in Escondido, CA. The Safari Park is a sister park of the San Diego Zoo. This property offer duel passes for the San Diego Zoo. It is one of the largest attractions in San Diego County. The park has over 1,800 of wildlife acres. They have personal up-close tours and tours within groups. This place is many locals go to for a personal experience with wildlife and other types of species. This includes reptiles and plants. Check out the discounts this place provides for Active-Duty.
Stay tuned for more San Diego bucket lists! In the meantime, check out more San Diego content here.