If you live in Connecticut or follow anyone on social media who does, you know that we have had a rough summer. There was one relentless heat wave after the other. As a native southerner, I acknowledge our heat wave is nothing compared to what our friends down in Kings Bay experienced, but we are just not used to it up here!
As soon as the temperature dropped to 60 everyone brought out their fall decor and headed to the pumpkin patch! Fall in Connecticut is like a scene in a Hallmark movie- festivals, farms, old barns, corn mazes and hay rides.
Check out these local farms where you can get your fill of fall activities this month:
Pumpkin Patches & Farms
- Cold Spring Farm (Colchester)
Their Fall Festival (October 14th) is a free event they are hosting to kick off the season. For an extra fee, take a hayride and bring home a pumpkin.
- Ekonk Hill Turkey Farm (Mossup)
The corn maze at Ekonk Hill Turkey Farm is one of the biggest (and best) corn mazes in CT. Located in Mossup, CT, it’s about 40 minutes from the base. Be sure to grab your flashlights and go to one of the nighttime corn mazes.
- Scott”s Yankee Farm (Old Lyme)
Scott’s Yankee Farm in East Lyme has a “Swamp Adventure” themed corn maze this year! Buy your tickets online in advance to save a few dollars, and check their site for weekend wagon ride hours. Be sure to check out their roadside farm store, as well!
- Holmberg Orchard (Gales Ferry)
Holmberg Orchard is bringing back all their fall activities. From picking your-own apples and pears to tastings at the cider and wine barn, there’s something for everyone here! Other highlights include pumpkins, tractor rides, freshly-baked donuts and cider slushies. Be sure to follow their Facebook page for daily updates.
- The Farm (Woodbury)
Woodbury, CT is a little farther away (about an hour) but it’s one you won’t want to miss. This year’s theme is “Escape to the Caribbean”. Follow along the maze as you stop for trivia and hidden “treasures” along the way.
Known for their “big red barn”, Bishop Orchards has a Sherlock Holmes themed corn maze this year. Be sure to stop by their pumpkin patch on your way out!
Events & Festivals
- Sept. 28-Oct. 31 : Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular at Roger Williams Zoo
- Sept. 29-Oct. 30 (weekends only): Pumpkin Passage at The Dinosaur Place
- Sept. 30: Harvest Fest by MWR Subase New London
- Oct. 4: Glass Pumpkin Paint and Sip at Bank & Bridge Brewing
- Oct. 13: Scary Movie Trivia & Pick Your Own Project at Board & Brush Mystic
- Oct. 14: Mystic Chamber Fireworks Celebration
- Oct. 19: Spooky Story Dinner with Seaside Shadows
- Oct. 19: Trunk or Treat with MWR Subase New London
- Oct. 20: Sensory-Friendly Evening: Halloween Art at Niantic Children’s Museum
- Oct. 20: New London Halloween Town
- Oct. 20-21: Sun BrewFest at Mohegan Sun
- Oct. 21-22: Mystic Apple Festival
- Oct. 22: Glass Pumpkin Paint and Sip at Stonington Vineyards
- Oct. 24: Fall Charcuterie Board Paint and Sip at Beer’d Brewing Co.
- Oct. 26: Silly “Spooky” Halloween Story Time at Bill Memorial Library
- Oct. 27: Witches Night Out & Pick Your Own Project at Board & Brush Mystic
- Oct. 27: Spooky Bash on the Grass (Kid-Friendly) at Foxwoods Casino
- Oct. 27: David Merlin – The Paranormalist at Mohegan Sun
- Oct. 27: Spooky Stories & Cider Tasting with Seaside Shadows
- Oct. 27-28: The Warren’s Seekers of the Supernatural Phantasma-Con at Mohegan Sun
- Oct. 28: Sinister Soiree Halloween Party at Foxwoods Casino
- Oct. 29: Mystic Halloween Parade & Trunk or Treat
- Oct. 31: Community Trick-or-Treat at Mystic Seaport Museum
Any of your favorites not listed? Please share!
If we missed any, please shoot us a message at TheSubmergedLife@gmail.com. We’ll continue to update this list!