If you are like me, 2.5 years ago when the detailer called to tell my spouse he was going to Millington for shore tour, I had no idea where Millington, TN was. On an initial google search, Millington appeared to be your typical small, southern town. Millington is home to Naval Support Activity Mid-South (NSA Mid-South) and is a shore tour location for submariners. The base employs more than 7,500 miitary, civillian and contractor employees.
If a shore duty stint in Millington is on the horizon for you, here’s what you need to know:
- Millington is located 20 miles from downtown Memphis
- As of the 2010 census, Millington had a population of 10,176
- Major Employers in the Area: FedEx, Smith & Nephew, St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, Methodist Le Bonheur Healthcare
- Nearby Towns: Atoka, Lakeland, Arlington, Germantown, Memphis
- First named Park Field in 1917 and served as a flight training base for the Army Air Service during WWI
- After WWII during the Cold War the installation was designated as a Naval Air Station Memphis
- During the Korean and Vietnam Wars Millington provided training for more than 20,000 service members
- The 1993 Base Realignment and Closure Committee moved aviation training and support redesignating NAS Memphis to NSA Memphis
- In 1998 the name of the base was changed to Naval Support Activity (NSA) Mid South
Where to Live:
As with other duty stations, base housing is always an option in Millington. Base housing at NSA Midsouth is on the base. There are various options for homes on base, click here to see your options.
North of Millington, you will find Atoka and Munford. People choose to live in these areas because of the easy commute to base and they have great school districts. Also, homes have larger lots compared to the homes in Lakeland and Arlington. Atoka and Munford are also more rural in comparison to other suburbs, a real small town feel.
Lakeland and Arlington are highly sought after areas because of their excellent school districts and beautiful homes. Arlington has great local shops and restaurants as well as some larger stores such as Home Depot and Kroger. Arlington offers an easy commute to base often less than 20 minutes. Families with younger children often choose to live in Lakeland because of its top ranked Lakeland Elementary School. Pro Tip: Lakeland Elementary is located on the perimeter of the Oakwood Subdivision. This subdivision is highly sought after because residents can skip the congested school drop off/pick line and easily walk/bike their children to school.
Later this year, The Lake District in Lakeland will open. This will be a mixed use space that will include business offices, town homes, shopping, and dining. All centered around a beautiful lake that is under construction.
Bartlett is a more suburban area with many housing options. Strategically located within the heart of Shelby County, the city of Bartlett is rich in history as a lone stagecoach stop by the 1830s. Now as Tennessee’s 10th largest city, Bartlett still preserves the small town spirit with a well balanced city touch, just minutes from shopping and dining options.
For more details on surrounding suburbs and towns, click here.
Things To Do:
Mllington is a small community, but some of our favorite activites included:
- Hiking at Meeman-Shelby Forest
- Playing 9 or 18 holes at Mirimichi Golf Course
- Picking seasonal offerings at Jone’s Orchards
- Local wine tasting at Old Millington Vineyard & Winery
- Shopping at Millington Farms Shopping Center (Buff City Soap is my favorite!)
- Camping at nearby state parks and lakes
- Naval Support Activity Mid-South (NSA Mid-South)
- City of Millington
- Memphis Tourism
- Facebook Group: NSA Mid-South/Millington PCS (🇺🇸Military Family Helping Military Family)
For more Millington content and resources, click here.